About the Canal
Courtesy of the
Canal Society of New Jersey and
In 1824 the Morris Canal & Banking Company (MC&BC) was chartered to build a canal that would carry coal,
in Pennsylvania, to developing markets along the eastern seaboard. The canal would pass through the heart
New Jersey’s iron district and provide the long-needed transportation system that would create new
activity and enable rustic settlements like Dover and Rockaway to grow into thriving industrial towns. The
opened for business in 1831 and then, in 1836, was extended from Newark to New York Harbor at Jersey City.
When completed, the canal extended 102 miles across the rugged highlands of New Jersey, from Phillipsburg
Delaware River, uphill to its summit level near Lake Hopatcong, and then down to Jersey City. To accomplish
a system of 23 lift locks and 23 inclined planes were built to overcome the impressive elevation change of
feet. The canal’s famous water-powered inclined planes were an engineering marvel that enabled canal boats
be raised or lowered up to 100 feet at a time.
Mule-drawn canal boats transported up to 70 tons of cargo and took five days to cross the state. In the
of the canal, hundreds of boats carried everything from coal and iron ore to agricultural products. As New
first industrial transportation system, the canal promoted commerce and shaped the economic development of
northern part of the state.
By the early 1900s the canal had become obsolete. However, it took until 1924 to adopt a plan to close and
the canal. The ownership of the canal’s vast water resources, including Lake Hopatcong, Lake Musconetcong,
Greenwood Lake, passed to the state of New Jersey. Today, the Morris Canal Greenway, a partnership between
communities and the Canal Society of New Jersey, seeks to preserve the surviving historic remains of the
interpret canal sites, and offer recreational opportunities to the public.